Arcades of four bays divide the aisles from the lofty nave. The eastern three bays on the south side are over six centuries old, those on the north were made in 1851 to match them when the north aisle was added and the south-western bay followed in 1872, when the south aisle was extended westwards. The octagonal piers have moulded capitals and bases, recently picked out in colour.
Sets of six double 15th century clerestory windows light the upper part of the nave. The eastern windows each side are worth noticing. They were positioned near the great Rood (Christ crucified, and flanked by his Mother and St John) and the rood-loft and screen beneath it, which separated the nave from the chancel. (All that remains of this rood-complex is a small portion of the screen-base, which now forms the credence-table in the chancel).
The north east window’s internal splay is embellished with stone shafts, a moulded arch and a heavily castellated ledge, the underside of which is studded with tiny flowers and the monograms ‘IHS’ (Jesus) and ‘MR’ (Mary). The south east window is moulded internally. Beneath it is carved the inscription “Sanct Johannes ora pro nobis” (St John pray for us). These references matched the figures on either side of the cross in the rood group, the Virgin Mary on Jesus’s right and St John on his left. A simple arched recess can be seen above the chancel arch.
A small 15th century trefoil-headed niche (possibly for a small statue, or a light) remains in the wall beneath the eastern arch of the south arcade, where the arch rests upon an elaborately carved (and much restored) angel corbel. It may well be the carving of the Annunciation, believed to have been presented to the church in 1348 by Sir John Wingfield, which was discovered at, or near, this spot during the 1873 restoration.