ROLL OF HONOUR
In 2005, a booklet commemorating those who died during the First and Second World Wars of the twentieth century was produced and distributed by Saxmundham Town Council to all households in the town as a tribute to their memory and to mark the occasion of the unveiling of the new public War Memorial in Fromus Square, Saxmundham on Sunday 17 July 2005 by General Sir Michael Walker GCB, CMG, CBE, ADC Gen, Chief of the Defence Staff.
The information on this page is transcribed from this booklet, which was compiled by the Royal British Legion, Saxmundham & District Branch, and Saxmundham Town Council., based upon Commonwealth War Graves Commission [CWGC] records, ‘Debt of Honour Register’, available on-line at www.cwgc.org.
Compiled by RWLS, 2005.
Saxmundham War Memorials
The Suffolk town of Saxmundham has, until recently, commemorated its dead of the two World Wars of the twentieth century with two War Memorial tablets, one fixed to the east end of the south aisle wall in the Parish Church of St, John the Baptist, the other on the east (ritual south) wall of the Congregational Chapel (now the United Reformed Church), These memorials are identical. The Parish Church places the Great War memorial above the later tablet; in the Chapel, the Great War memorial is fixed to the left of the central window, with the Second World War tablet to the right of that same window. The Memorial Field, Rendham Road, was purchased with the remaining proceeds raised by subscription in 1919-1920 and was chosen in preference to a public War Memorial by a referendum of the town’s inhabitants in 1920.
An initiative from the Royal British Legion, Saxmundham & District Branch, to raise funds to provide (belatedly) a public War Memorial in the town, was achieved in 2004 in time for laying of wreaths at 11 am on Armistice Day, 11th November.
The new Memorial takes the form of an obelisk, rising from a stepped platform base, with north and south sides listing the dead of the First and Second World War respectively. The east side has an inscription commemorating American forces based locally who gave their lives in World War Two. The Memorial is sited in the new public space in the historic centre of Saxmundham, now known as Fromus Square.